Friday, May 19, 2006

Young Tories: Party Poopers?



I was particularly taken by Floreat Aula's description of some of the more obnoxious Tory youths to be found haunting the dreaming spires and similar places. Having met several similar specimens as an undergraduate, by whom I was alternately patronised and pawed, there was nothing I would have been less likely to do than to join my university's Conservative Association. I cannot but feel that this is a shame, as I was probably not the only young female to be totally turned off by such idiots. Surely, if we are truly to engage more women in Tory politics, grass-roots conservatism must include all new shoots (and be less obsessed by roots)?

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I went out with a Young Conservative back in 1997 when I was at university. She was lovely, but her predominantly male friends were hideous. No wonder she went out with me!

8:02 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh - forgot to mention. I was a Wooly Liberal back then, with long hair and a silly beard to boot :)

8:03 pm  
Blogger Shane Greer said...

I tend to agree. I have nothing but bad memories of the university Conservative Association from my undergraduate days; so much so that I didn't even bother to contact the association at the university I'm completing my masters in.

11:59 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Europe was fine when it was a group of separate nations but once it became the EUROWEENIE UNION then everythings been difficult for them you realy gotta hope that some decide to succeed

7:40 pm  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home