Thursday, October 19, 2006

Scientific Stereotypes: Part 1


As one of life's natural arts students I always viewed science bods with a combination of amusement and bewilderment. This was slightly revised when I met my fiancee, at the time a Science bod herself (now happily recovered), but my innate prejudices were hardly dispelled on being invited to have a drink with her lab colleagues.

"Which one's James?" I asked, trying to work out who her supervisor was,
"The one in a black T-shirt and glasses" she replied.
Astute readers might have guessed by now that as my eye travelled along the twelve possible candidates one thing struck me: they were all wearing black T-shirts and all wore glasses.

So it might just be me, but when I read the following an image sprang irresistably to mind:

Physical appearance, driven by indicators of health, youth and fertility, will improve, he says, while men will exhibit symmetrical facial features, look athletic, and have squarer jaws, deeper voices and bigger penises.
Women, on the other hand, will develop lighter, smooth, hairless skin, large clear eyes, pert breasts, glossy hair, and even features, he adds.


Just the teensiest tiniest bit of wish-fulfillment going on here? Frink out.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home