Thursday, December 21, 2006

Aux Armes Citoyens!

I'm a very level-headed sensible chap mostly. There's very little that stirs me from amiable detachment. However, Camilla Cavendish's series of articles on the family courts in this country are enough to stiffen the sinews, summon up the blood and generally steam my sprouts. The idea that some under-qualified jumped little nobody from the council could, on suspicion alone, steal my new-born baby from the arms of my wife in hospital and then, even if we were able to take the case to appeal at the ECHR, simply say 'Hah! Too late we've had it adopted!' is so extraordinarily infuriating that I suspect I might turn my life into some unceasing search for vengeance.
The status of the family courts in this country should be a national scandal. The rules of evidence, of proof, of natural justice; ideas for which we have fought for generations; ideas which to a large extent define the concept of Britishness are simply flat-out ignored. Decisions that should only ever be made after a full trial by jury are rushed through without a jury on a balance of probability basis, in secret and subject to draconian rules on reporting. I'm not specifically blaming this Government, for this is a problem that has festered for a long time, but it is one that needs urgent action. So, David, I've stuck up for you on a lot of things, how about a Conservative policy on this? Otherwise there'll be barricades...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home