Monday, October 29, 2007

As if by magic...

Richard Littlejohn:

Unless I've missed something, no one has yet blamed the California forest fires on "global warming", as they did Hurricane Bush, sorry "Katrina". It won't be long before some pipsqueak politician pops up to protest that unless we put another 50p on a litre of petrol, and bring back the pay-as-you-throw tax scrapped this week, we will all be burned in hell, Malibu-style, by an angry planet.

Johann Hari:

So it's a red herring to suggest that an individual arsonist was The Cause of the California fires, the latest right-wing talking point. Even if a malicious person did strike – and it's possible – the fire only spread so far and so fast because the climate is unusually dry. The hefty act of arson is our carbon-spewing behaviour every day, altering the chemical composition of the atmosphere in a way that guarantees more warming and more wildfires.

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger Devil's Kitchen said...

I hate you. That Hari article has just send my blood pressure through the roof and may well have knocked 15 years off my life...

DK

3:16 pm  
Blogger Tim J said...

I always have to start humming to myself whenever I read Hari, to drown out the rising tide of rage in my ears.

4:18 pm  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home