Friday, November 30, 2007

Tittle-tattle

While I bow to very few in my admiration for Daniel Finkelstein, I'm not sure I agree with him on this one.

I find the fuss about the way May and Smith dressed, baffling and outrageous in equal measure. There was nothing wrong with what they were wearing.

And, while I listen to Melissa with great respect on this, the reaction was sexist, pure and simple.
There is, of course, an element of truth in this: the nonsense about cleavage being undignified or whatever is frankly silly. But I have to admit that when I saw coverage of PMQs, my first reaction was "Blimey! What on earth is Theresa May wearing!?"

Crikey...

I accept that this isn't high level politics. Any disagreement with Theresa May I might have would not be about wither her kitten heels or her cleavage. But I think you'll admit that her outfit was...striking. Worthy of comment. When you consider that Matthew Parris once wrote an article entirely about a particularly bilious Gerald Kaufman suit, and Simon Hoggart has a peculiar fascination with Michael Fabricant's stupendous wig, I don't see that similarly impudent comment should not be raised by an equally arresting sartorial statement.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home